Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Movies that anticipate the future


I've always enjoyed to anticipate the future. I observe carefully what is going on, general tendencies, priorities, cultural clashes, and then I try to picture these changes in the near future.
That's why I like science fiction movies.

I'm not talking about time travel or close encounters with aliens. I'm talking about possible and probable events. 

Almost every science fiction movie shows violence, war and destruction. Some examples:

The Postman (1997):

Children of Men (2006):

War, Inc. (2008): 

If we compare the movies of the nineties with those of the second decade of the new century we see a clear difference. Movies are becoming more pessimistic.
The Postman gives us hope. There's room for survival. Children of Men shows us a world with no future, but still a miracle happens, a new child is born. In War, Inc. everything is marketable, nobody is safe, there's no trust or moral ground (trash culture).





No comments:

Post a Comment